Seawalls & Bulkheads: Commonly Used Terms and Definitions

The buried portion of the tie-back rod that is typically a reinforced concrete block, which engages the soil to resist the pull on the tie-back rod. Also known as a deadman.
The angle from plumb (vertical) deliberately constructed for a bearing pile.
The ground or soils which support the base of the panels, may also include rip rap.
Any solid vertical structure, which serves to separate landward real property and/or any improvements thereon from any natural or manmade body of water. Typically constructed in areas experiencing mild to moderate exposure such as protected waters in rivers, canals, bays, etc.
The component on top of the seawall panels used for alignment and/or structural support.
Poured concrete block approximately 10’ to 15’ landward of the seawall, connected to seawall with tie rods, used to anchor the structure.
Soil loss from the landward side of the seawall.